Thursday, October 6, 2011

The beginning.

         This summer I have had the great opportunity to go and serve at Sunset beach christian church on the Island of Oahu. SBCC is not only a church but an elementary school and has been around since the 1950s, impacting the community and winning lives to Christ on the North shore of Oahu. Through mutual friends the current Senior pastor, Larry Garret, and I were connected. Pastor Larry, a missionary himself from California, shared with me his heart for the North Shore and that he had been praying for God to fill some roles in the church that were crucial to the health and future of SBCC. Most importantly the church needed someone to lead Worship and focus on youth.

After receiving some advice from my closest mentors I flew out August 17th to see if SBCC was where God would have me as a long term missionary. During my 2 week stay I was given the pleasure of leading worship at two sunday morning services, meeting and interacting with the youth , as well as helping out around the two acre lot on which the church and school reside. My heart began to ache with compassion as God used me to serve the church. I am no stranger to mission trips, having been a part of trips to the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Mexico; but never have I had the opportunity to serve away from home long term.


I am currently believing and praying that God is going to not only use me, but also challenge and stretch me through this next chapter in my walk with Him. I am excited to return to Oahu very soon and serve for 6 months. During my stay I will be asking my friends and family that are able for financial support in order to be able to feed myself and keep up with a few bills. I understand that what I am asking for is a sacrifice but I believe 100% that sowing into God's kingdom is much more rewarding than any other investment. Your prayers and support make you a teammate and not just a spectator. I have created a button for you to be able to donate directly to my paypal account(located above and to the right, below my picture), or if you are more comfortable you can make a check out to the Cause community church with my name in the memo line(tax deductable).


            I am so excited to keep you updated with how God is using me away from home. Please understand that I don't believe I earned this opportunity, I only made myself available. I hope that encourages you to follow the Lord and walk through the doors he opens.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment